Why visit Santorini?
The worldwide famous island of Santorini is undoubtedly one of the most extraordinary spots on the planet and definitely a must see for everyone visiting Greece!
It is very unlike that you have never seen a postcard or a picture from Santorini in your life! And the amazing part is that no postcard or photo can portray the grandness and beauty of this landscape, unless you see it with your own eyes…
Being the southernmost island of the Cyclades, the spectacular, crescent-shaped Santorini is actually a complex of five islands. Santorini (Thira) is the main island and around it there are Thirasia and Aspronisi (parts of the ancient Stroggili) and the two volcanic islands Palea (=Old) Kameni and Nea (=New) Kameni.
Until about 1645 BC, the whole complex was one sole island named Stroggili (circle in Greek), when the volcano in the middle of the island erupted and Caldera was created. The two volcanic islands appeared much later after several eruptions starting from 157 BC until the last one in the 20th century (1950).
Do you wonder why Santorini is so popular? Here are a few reasons:
- It is connected with the myth of Lost Atlantis
- It is still an active volcano and probably the only volcano in the world whose crater is in the sea
- Jules Verne visited Thira during the eruptions of 1866 – 1870 together with other scientists and made it famous with its books “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” and “The mysterious island”
- The excavations at Akrotiri have uncovered one of the most important prehistoric settlements of the Aegean, dating back in the Late Neolithic times (at least the 4th millennium BC)
- The breathtaking views to the caldera, the beauty and the energy of the island make it an ideal romantic getaway for honeymooners, as well as the perfect destination for photographers. It is not a coincidence that Santorini has been growing as a “wedding destination” for couples coming not only from Greece, but from around the world.
- The sunset in the village of Oia is one of the most scenic and well-known around the globe.
- Santorini has some of the best vineyards in Greece and produces excellent local wine
- The island also features some of Greece’s finest restaurants, offering stunning views to the Caldera and delicious dishes made of local products.
Nowadays Santorini has become a top tourist destination not only in Greece, but worldwide, receiving thousands of visitors every year. Although the island gets very crowded during the summer months (July – September), you can’t miss the opportunity to visit it. Santorini offers excellent choices off the beaten path and we are here to show you the best, secret parts of Santorini and allow you experience the most of it!
You can choose among breathtaking hiking trails, sailing to the volcano, swimming and sea kayaking, shipwreck diving or visits to archaeological sites and monasteries, cooking classes, wine tours and wine tasting. All the above and much more in one and sole destination!